Wednesday, September 3, 2008

When I went to Utah State, I had biology class with a child prodigy. He was this cute little eight-year-old Asian boy, and every morning his mom would walk him to class as he would ride along on his bike with a bright purple helmet on and his oversized (for him) backpack on his back. Our class was pretty big--maybe 300 students, so it was held in one of those big auditoriums. You could come in from the back at the top, or there we also some doors right at the bottom in front where the professor would lecture, in plain view of all 300 students. One day the lecture had already begun and the front door cracked open and you could see this tiny little Asian woman holding a brown paper sack up in the air. The little boy popped out of his seat, and ran down to get his lunch that he had forgotten.

Today as Gwen and I we getting ready for our walk, I looked over at the kitchen counter and realized Jake had forgotten his lunch and I wasn't really sure if he had his wallet with him to buy lunch either. I looked at his schedule and thought I saw that his class didn't start for another hour, so he'd probably just be studying away in the law library. I gave him a call but he didn't answer, so I left a message telling him that I was on my way to bring him his lunch and since I didn't know where the law library was, I'd call him again when I got there so he could meet me. As soon as I got Gwen packed in the stroller we were off to campus.

I got to the law building and gave him a call. No answer. I decided the law building wasn't that big, so I'd start from the bottom up. I looked like a complete idiot as faculty down the hall were just staring at me stuggling through the door with Gwen's massive stoller, only to notice on my way out that there was one of those handicap buttons you could push to open the door. And then when I got inside I really had no clue where anything was, so I'm sure I just looked stupid wandering down the hall hoping I'd run into what I was looking for. Luckily I did. Just down the main hallway there was a door labeled "Law Library"--thank heavens!

I walk in looking only slightly out of place in my exercise clothes, carrying Gwen in one arm and Jake's lunch in the other. Oddly enough Jake was nowhere to be found. I ran into Dru who was nice enough to hand off Jake's lunch to him when he saw him, but no Jake.

Anyway, I thought it best to give Jake one more call, just in case he just didn't hear the first two and to let him know that Dru had his lunch. Still no answer, so we left and continued on our walk, which was nice by the way.

We were almost home Jake FINALLY calls me back and is like, "Thanks for my lunch, Megan! I was wondering what was so important that you had call me THREE times and leave TWO different messages about during class (luckily his phone was on vibrate). You know it's really hard to concentrate on what the professor is saying when you think there is some serious problem back at home!"

Poor Jake. At least he got nourishment at lunch time, which he actually was appreciative of later on in the day. Next time I think I'll look a little closer at his schedule and maybe not call three times in a half-hour period. Or maybe I just leave things up to him--he's a big boy now.

12 comments:

Carrie said...

I love that you went to all that trouble to make sure Jake ate. Such dedication! I'm mucho impressed!

Maricela said...

I agree with Carrie. I think that was very sweet of you to go thru all that trouble to get Jake his lunch. Nice job!

Tiffany said...

I didn't know those child prodigy things were true--I just thought it was something in the movies. And the last time I decided to let Zeke take care of all his things because he was a "big boy" he went snow camping with no sleeping bag.

Juannaelmi said...

I was really hoping for the story ending in you opening the classroom door and Jake running down to get his lunch!! You are a great wife and my brother is very lucky!

Sarah said...

Great story...glad you got his lunch to him via Dru (even though I was waiting for the part in the story where Gwen stands at the Law Class doorway waving the brown sack for Jake to pop up and get)!

Camille said...

I found you!!! I was thinking of you the other day as I walked my baby brother around campus at USU and we ended up at the Biology buidling. I said to myself... "I wonder how Megan is." And here you are!

Katie said...

I enjoyed BOTH thank you cards! :) Definitely got a good laugh. It's ok to be a little brain dead...motherhood and pregnancy will do that to the best of us!

Carrie said...

Hey! I love the picture of the Barn! Is that taken up there in Moscow? Did you take it?

Megan said...

Yeah, that is our own scenic Moscow. That barn is a short walk from our house.

Laura said...

Great story and a great wife you are!

Rebecca and Nick said...

I loved that story! That sounds like something I would do, too. How is potty training going with Gwen? I've been trying to get Owen interested in the toilet, but it's not going anywhere.

Melissa said...

I didn't know this happend!
I'm glad Dru was in the library.